lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev dev17 clue?

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev dev17 clue?
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 03:15:30 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Henry Nelson wrote:
[kw:]
> > Some of that growth is due to more data, not more code - especially
> > more tables for charsets and entities.  Some is due to lots of small
>
> There is no easy way to chose only which tables you might want.  To the
> complete novice like myself, even with Leonid's rather good instructions,
> it is a mystery as to what tables are needed, and which ones would never
> likely be used.  Seems to me, I only need one since I use only English
> and CJK.

The file src/chrtrans/README.tables has some instructions starting with
"To make a new chartrans table available".  Just do the reverse, to slash
away the tables you do not want.  I am surprised you have never tried that.

The first thinks to take out should be the mnem* / rfc_* stuff since they
are big.  You can try taking everything out but 7 bit approximations and
ISO Latin 1.

You may also want to try to reduce MAXHIST and MAXLINKS in userdefs.h.
But I think the effect will not be visible in binary size, only in run-time
memory need - and may well be insignificant.

> > needing more cpu time, or more dynamic memory and paging?  For example
> > static buffers are being eliminated, but now a lot more heap allocation
> > is needed.
>
> What does this mean -- more toward CPU, or more toward memory, or neither?

More heap allocation (malloc and friends) means likely more CPU time,
but details would depend on the implementation of those functions in
the system.

   Klaus