lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev mime.types file seems inactive

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev mime.types file seems inactive
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 12:31:56 +0300 (MSK)

24-Feb-99 22:40 Chris Gray wrote:

> I'm trying to teach LYNX v2.8 to give the "download" dialog for .mp2
> and .mP3 files similarly to how it does for .zip files.  Right
> now when I choose a link to .mp2 for instance, LYNX spends lots of time
> save the file that was just read.

> I created the following file called mime.types in my c:\lynx subdir:

>      audio/x-wav wav
>      audio/x-mpeg mp2
>      audio/x-mpeg mp3

> In lynx.cfg I uncommented the globalextnesions and personal_extensions
> lines, but still no change.

> Also I tried a few stumbling changes in mailcap, but still no dice.

> Finally I changes the list of suffixes to include these items.  These
> lines are below.

>      suffix:.mp2:audio/mpeg
>      suffix:.mp3:audio/mpeg
>      global_extension_map:c:/lynx/mime.types
>      personal_extension_map:mime.types

> So far, none of this works.  However, .wav and .zip files can be
> downloaded just fine.  Am I correct that an entry, properly done in
> mime.t ypes or Suffixes, will trigger a download?  Any advice?

> Thanks a lot.

Interesting.
The newer lynx.cfg has a comment on mime.types -
it does not have any effect for http.
Apparently, this is a translation to another direction
(guess MIME type based on file extension), but you want
to set file extension based on MIME type -
this seems to be not implemented in lynx
but let other people comment on it, probably I lost something.

# MIME types and viewers!
#
# file extensions may be assigned to MIME types using
# the SUFFIX: definition.  [This has an effect for ftp and local files only,
# http server does specify MIME type in the Content-Type header].
#
# The SUFFIX definition takes the form of:
#    SUFFIX:<file extension>:<mime type>
# for instance the following definition maps the
# extension ".gif" to the mime type "image/gif"
#    SUFFIX:.gif:image/gif
#
# file suffixes are case INsensitive!
#
# The suffix definitions listed here in the default lynx.cfg file are
# among those established via src/HTInit.c.  You can change any of the
# defaults by editing that file, or via the global or personal mime.types
# files at run time.  They will be overridden if you assign them here.
#
#SUFFIX:.ps:application/postscript
#SUFFIX:.eps:application/postscript