lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Disabling proxies

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Disabling proxies
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 11:29:53 +0000 (GMT)

>       I think Lynx would include a way to disable/enable proxies while
>    browsing. It's a mess to quit it and load it with another config
>    file.

Most web users don't even know they are using proxies; their ISP
preconfigured their IE or NS with the ISP's proxies and the internet
options menu is too technical for them.

Many ISPs are now using transparent proxying, where port 80 accesses
are intercepted by their router and forced to a proxy; users of such
ISPs can never turn off proxying.

People using Lynx for testing sites are normally in a position to run
two copies simultaneously, or in extreme cases alternate with Unix job
control.

There is a strong current thread on reducing code bloat in Lynx.

Why do you think there is a need or demand that overrules the need to
minimise bloat?