lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev wget and lynx, download problem

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev wget and lynx, download problem
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 07:10:40 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 1 Mar 1999, Klaus Peter Wegge wrote:

> I'll give you an more precise example:
>
> Plattform: Linux
> Lynx: 2.8.2dev.17
> wget 1.5.2
>
> I have just downloaded http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/mailbox/log99-02
> iss size is 2,3 mb.
> wget did the job in 85 min. without any problems.
> Lynx gave up after 135 kb and about 6 minutes.
> The line on the bottom of the screen says:
> LYNXDOWNLOAD://Method=-1/File=/tmp/L23431-3TMP.txt/SugFile=/locals/u2/wegge/l
>
> More info is cut off. SubFile seems to be the path to Lynx or its
                          ^g
> sources.

No, it's a Suggested Filename, or at least it should be.

> The behavior of lynx is the same in earlier version except the
> bottom line.
> Tomorrow I'll build a debug version of lynx.
> Please give me some hints.

Do TRACE (^T) before starting the download or -trace.
There should be *something* in Lynx.trace.  Let's see the
relevant part.

Try also lynx -dump or lynx -source with tracing.
For example
   lynx -dump -trace -tlog [URL here] >/dev/null
should show just the trace messages on the screen.

Make sure you have enough free disk space in /tmp, or whereever you
tell lynx to put temp file, and in your home dir for the trace log
file) (This isn't an issue for the example above with -dump).

If Lynx's trace doens't give a clue what's happening, running lynx
under strace may.

You wrote in another message:

> The number of bytes, downloaded by lynx, seems to depend on the
> usage of the IN-lines.

What do you mean with that, what are IN-lines?

    Klaus