lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Lynx: ftp problems

From: Frederic L.W.Meunier
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx: ftp problems
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 02:30:05 -0300

>using 2-8-2dev.19 (like you) & the  g  command, i go there & get
>                                    Welcome
>
>Jul 10  1998  Directory        [1]bin
>Mar  5  1998  Directory        [2]etc
>Mar  5  1998  Directory        [3]hidden
>Mar  8 08:26  Directory        [4]pub

I get this too. But not now. If i restart Lynx it'll work. I enter g,
ftp://ftp.epicsol.org and press enter.

>does it do that straight away or after you enter some command?
>when i enter  4  at the above screen, i get
>
>                                      pub
>
>[1]Up to /
>
>Mar  5  1998  Directory          [2]Mac
>Aug 22  1998  Symbolic Link      [3]epic
>Mar 11 15:52  Directory          [4]ircii
>Mar  8 08:25  Executable         [5]rmska.exe  42Kb
>Mar  5  1998  Directory          [6]skyway
>Mar  5  1998  Directory          [7]usefulware
>Mar  5  1998  Directory          [8]vt
>Mar  5  1998  Directory          [9]win95
>Mar  5  1998  Directory          [10]windows

It works too if i restart Lynx. I go to the directory i want. But now i can't.
After g, ftp://ftp.epicsol.org and enter Lynx make the ftp connnection (i'm
sure it connects to the ftp site) but returns the actual page (the one when i
pressed g etc). And if i press g, ftp://ftp.epicsol.org and return again i only
get the /directory ---> Current directory is /. I i press ctrl+r it reconnects
and i get the same.

>i'm not questioning your experience for a moment,
>but i have no problem accessing the site using Lynx.
>try to describe exactly where your experience differs from mine above.

Hmm. I'm not a developer and i never tried to hack the source code but i only
use Lynx and it's the only problem i experienced. Note that ftp.epicsol.org is
an example. I'm getting the same error with all the ftp sites i try to connect
to. And again, if i restart Lynx this will work but stop after x connections (x
can be 10 or 100 or xxx). The other ftp clients works perfectly (i use mc ftpfs
and lftp).I just posted this because i'm tired. I used Lynx 2.8 and 2.8.1 rel
and experienced the same problem. I'm running Lynx on an rxvt and i really
don't restart it if i don't need. So, it take a time and a certain number of
ftp connections to get this error. http://metalab.unc.edu/pub shows the list of
directories and archives. ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub no. I really only want to
know if anyone had this problem before. And thanks.