lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev needing assistance with our customer using a version Lynx

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev needing assistance with our customer using a version Lynx
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 18:11:30 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999 address@hidden wrote:

> I'm writing to you on behalf of one of our customers who is using Lynx
> version 2.8.1 2nd release to access our internet website at
> www.huntington.com.  He is having difficulty in accessing the part of our
> website where account information resides.  We are currently having our
> support company (S-1) who maintains our website, review the situation to
> see if they can figure out why this customer is having problems accessing
> our site.

This is a simple problem, but without a simple solution. Your account
access is via "https" protocol, rather than "http". Lynx, as usually
distributed, does not support SSL secure prototcols. For a variety
of reasons, including US export regulations and patent issues, a
version of lynx enabled for https cannot be distributed in the US.
If your client is on a unix machine in the US and using the account
for personal, rather than business reasons, they may be able to
compile their own SSL enabled lynx or a SSL proxy to work with lynx.
Those of us on lynx-dev would be willing to assist with problems in
compilation, but this task will be extremely difficult if the client
is not comfortable working in unix and compiling programs. If the
client is a business, a license to use RSA would have to be obtained
before using SSL enabled lynx. Unless your client is quite motivated
to use lynx for this, and willing to invest time in fixing this
problem for himself/herself, a switch to Netscape or Internet Explorer
for accessing your site may be the simplest solution.

I use lynx with a SSL proxy, and can access your site without
difficulty (using lynx2.8.2dev.19 and the edssl proxy).

                                Doug
__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden (preferred)