lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynx2-8-1/Linux patch for new VTs

From: Chuck Martin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2-8-1/Linux patch for new VTs
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 20:54:01 -0500

On Sun, Mar 28, 1999 at 11:39:25PM +1200, Anthony James Garnock-Jones wrote:

> Hi. I've been missing a feature that both Netscape and IE have - the
> capability to open a new browser window to explore sublinks in. As I
> run Lynx mostly on console on a Linux box, I decided to play with
> implementing a "open new browser window" feature using the Linux
> VT_??? ioctl()s.

There's already a way to do this without patching lynx.  Put the following
in your lynx.cfg file:

EXTERNAL:http:openvt -sw -- lynx %s &:TRUE
EXTERNAL:file:openvt -sw -- lynx %s &:TRUE

You can add others if you like.  This won't pass cookies or history
information, but it will open a new VT with the new process by pressing
"." on the selected link.  There's a bug in the current version of
openvt that prevents it from returning to the original VT when the
new process is terminated, but I wrote a patch for to fix that that I
can send you if you want (I've already sent it to Andries Brouwer, the
current maintainer of the kbd package).  It also deallocates the VT on
termination if -w and -s are used together.

I've also been using this method for quite awhile to view pictures in
alternate VTs by using lines like

VIEWER:image/gif:openvt -sw -- zgv %s &:NON_XWINDOWS

or

DOWNLOADER:View with zgv:openvt -sw -- zgv %s &:TRUE

in lynx.cfg.  The latter allows you to view a picture before deciding
whether or not to save it to disk.

Chuck