lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev virtual html pages (fwd)

From: C.J.LAWSON
Subject: Re: lynx-dev virtual html pages (fwd)
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 17:11:36 +0100 (BST)

Hi David,
        Thanks for your response ... I will do my best to address the
issues you raise in your email

On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, David Woolley wrote:

> > > I ran into some program that converts ordinary text files to html
> > > and after running the file once or twice on misc files,
> > > I tried piping the result to lynx ... didn't like it
>
> Lynx isn't a general file viewer. You would be much better using
> a designed for the purpose tool, e.g, most or less, and if you want
> directory browsing, Midnight Commander.
Indeed Lynx is not a general file viewer ... nor are most, less or mc
suitable for html page viewing ... In my message, I explicitly said that
the text was converted to html, first, before it is to be viewed... And
yes there is a rationale for it (I am sure you can think of others
yourself).

> Any Unix system, with sufficient memory, will cache recently accessed
> files with no need for any additional software.
??? !!! I cannae see how this has a bearing on the question I asked and
what is more ... all the world is not unix ..

> > this is beyond me: anyone else have thoughts?
>
> I think the thinking is confused, which is why you don't understand it.
I'll let you off Easter is a time of forgiveness ..

> No reply address available, so you'll have to CC him.  Probably, you
> should have ignored him; there has been a recent increase in the number
> of people asking questions of frequent list contributors when they
> should have been asking on the list.
No reply address available !? Thats odd, I usually have 2 addresses on
each of my emails .. but then again lets add this to the things that we
shall ignore and I am sorry you are offended that I didn't send the email
to the list directly. However, judging by the contumacy of your response,
I am sure you may find it within you to excuse me.

        Happy Easter

---
Jonathan Lawson
Thermal Processes Unit
Department of Applied Energy and Optical Diagnostics
School of Mechanical Engineering,
Cranfield  University,
Cranfield, Bedford. UK.
email address@hidden

  So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom.

                                                                Ps 90:12