lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Lynx suppport frames?

From: Gene Collins
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx suppport frames?
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 08:59:12 -0500

At 12:04 PM 4/12/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Does Lynx currently support Frames?  If not, will the new version support
>Frames?  When will this new version be released?
>
>If Lynx does/will not support Frames, can you refer me to a software that
>does support Frames.
>
>This is a critical issue at San Francisco State University as we are
>introducing a new online course management system called "Blackboard" -
>which is set up in frames.  If you could get back to me as soon as
>possible, I would really appreciate it.

Lynx shows each frame as a separate link, rather than displaying frames
side by side or above one another on the page.  For blind people using
screen readers, this is critical, since most screen readers have no way to
distinguish multi-column text on the screen.

As a totally blind lynx user, I really appreciate this feature, and hope
the lynx developers will keep this behavior in future versions of lynx.

If you are looking for a web browser that really displays frames, try
Netscape or Internet Explorer.  But be aware that by insisting on a system
that uses frames, you may inhibit access by totally blind students.  I know
that frames are all the rage on the internet, but they are * not * always
the most useful way to present information.

My personal and heart felt thanks to all the lynx developers for all there
hard work in developing a browser with features that blind people find
especially useful.

Gene Collins

address@hidden