lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev extending the syntax of 'include' command in lynx.cfg

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev extending the syntax of 'include' command in lynx.cfg
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 23:57:28 +0400 (MSD)

14-Apr-99 03:24 Vlad Harchev wrote:
>  More brave approach:
>  Make ~/.lynxrc to be included by lynx.cfg (it's syntax must be changed to one
> of lynx.cfg), with a list of options it can contain in the 'include' line. As
> I understand, with  LP's patch lynx.cfg can be edited at runtime and reloaded

Right. BTW, does it work for your prettysrc settings:
I saw a DTD fix before read_cfg() in LYMain.c, so assume may be a problem
when reloading changes in another current DTD or so. Is it OK for you?

>  in the same session - such feature as editing options specified in .lynxrc
>  at runtime is not the major privelege (or feature) of .lynxrc. So, a huge
> section of code ~32KB can be removed when using this approach.

Not sure the benefits:
Currently we have a compromise between a huge jar of options (lynx.cfg) for
advanced and expetienced user, and a small menu-driven subset (we should not
normaly looks into .lynxrc et all, it is a machine generated file).
It is not possible (and not useful) to made all lynx.cfg options menu driven
since that introduce more problems than it solves.

just few points:
- .lynxrc has options with other names when in lynx.cfg
so we should add synonyms to provide compatibility, etc.
- we should restrict most lynx.cfg options for .lynxrc
- command line flags in between...

>  In present state, users with paranoid sysadm were to live with colors s/he
> specify.
??? what do you mean?
with paranoid sysadmin you can get an opprtunity
to have no opportunity et all.