lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev dev.22 lynx_dev.html

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev dev.22 lynx_dev.html
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 09:26:03 +0100 (BST)

> esp with the pedantic nits'n'rants from people
> who never seem to work on documentation themselves.

I don't consider the <br> issue pedantic.  I consider it the thin end of
the wedge towards Lynx HTML becoming page description HTML just like most
of the GUI HTML, rather than media independent language for describing
the deep structure of the document so that the user and user agent can
may intelligent choices on how to render it.

I've done several makeovers of GUI web pages in the past to try and get
rid of things like this++, but it is a thankless task as even if I achieve
essentially the same layout with clean HTML, people just stick with what
they believe "works".

I accept that a lot of work goes into documentation, and coding and that I
don't have the time, or the commitment to Lynx to do it, but once you start
you have to understand that Lynx HTML documentation is in the special
position that it has a duty to be an example of best practice, in the true
spirit of HTML, as well as being easy to read, correct, complete, etc.

++ E.g. a contents list done as indents with &nbsp; and <br> at the end
of each item, rather than with <ul><li> (with IE4, you can even
suppress the bullets), and sub-headings done as body text with font and
bold wrappers.