lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev dev.22 lynx_dev.html

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev dev.22 lynx_dev.html
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 05:18:44 -0700

Philip Webb wrote:

> the problem people were having with my use of <br> was
> that they were reading the patch instead of the rendered help-file.
> the latter should be neat & easy to read: i agree it's probably better
> to put long stretches of the help documentation in <pre>...</pre>.

You only say
this because
you work in
a certain
screen
width.  In
actual fact,
artificially
truncated
lines look
quite stupid
and hard to
read,
especially
when they are embedded in the middle of otherwise reasonably formatted
text.  You are imposing *your* idea of a good screen width on your
readers.

Actually, what looks even worse than short lines
is a clumsy
mix of alternating long and short lines, which is
what your
style produces when viewed on a display which is
only a little
shorter than your <BR>-terminated "lines".  Is it
your
intention that Lynx documentation should look like
this?

> > Lynx HTML documentation is in the special position
> > that it has a duty to be an example of best practice,
> > in the true spirit of HTML,
> > as well as being easy to read, correct, complete, etc.
>
> no, i don't accept that that is part of the Lynx project any more:
> we should try to use HTML & Internet terminology accurately
> -- KW's lengthy lectures on URLs & angels have their place -- ,
> but i don't visit the club to fight idealistic battles
> & my impression is that most lynx-devers in practice don't either.

This isn't just an idealistic battle.  There's a reason, which has been
explained more than once.  Perhaps this browbeating will do it.