lynx-dev

Re: http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/html/todo-list.html [lynx-dev]

From: Michael Warner
Subject: Re: http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/html/todo-list.html [lynx-dev]
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 23:57:41 -0700

On or about 17 Apr, 1999, Doug Kaufman
<address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Apr 1999, Louis Epstein wrote:
>
> > > It would help if you gave the full URL that
> > > is giving you trouble.  A recent development
> > > version doesn't have trouble getting to
> > > "http://www.surplusauction.com/images/high_bidders.gif";.
> >
> > An example...
> > http://www.surplusauction.com/wc.dll?Lots~Info~90419A-ME5601&UID=DF1
> > has,for Lynx 2.6,a functioning link "Click here to view high
> > bidders list" to
> > http://www.surplusauction.com/wc.dll?Lots~Info~90419A-ME5601~HI&UID=DF1
> >
> > but in 2.8.1 the "Click here..." is dead text,not a link.
> > (This is typical of lots).
>
> You need to turn on "image links". While in lynx, you
> control this with the "*" key. It can also be set from your
> .lynxrc file via the options page or from the lynx.cfg file
> with "MAKE_LINKS_FOR_ALL_IMAGES". The command line switch
> "-image_links" also toggles this. I keep this turned on all the
> time, only turning it off if the screen is too cluttered. It
> also controls whether or not the links are shown with the "A"
> or "L" commands.

I don't think that's the problem.  They use an IMG in place
of link text, and the '*' key just gets the IMG url
(.../high_bidders.gif), not the url of the bidders list.
The link he wants is available as a "hidden link" on the
'L'inks page.  Using the "-hiddenlinks=merge" commandline
switch with links numbered gets a number assigned to the
hidden link, making it much easier to find on the 'L'inks
page (the urls are pretty cryptic).

Note 1 - I think "-hiddenlinks" is documented in the man
page, but not in lynx_help.  Patch forthcoming.

Note 2 - I can't, off-hand, think of any way of making hidden
links selectable on the page itself, but there may be one.

Note 3 - www.surplus.com seems to use a hefty dose of
invalid commenting.  Depending on your configuration, you
may need to try one of lynx's "forgiving" settings to see
the whole page.  See the 'K'eymap page for the
comment-parsing options.  A backtick ("`") works for me.

--
Michael Warner          "You're cute when you're stupid"
<address@hidden>                                -- R.A. Miller