lynx-dev

lynx-dev Jeez now I've started a non-Lynx discussion

From: mattack
Subject: lynx-dev Jeez now I've started a non-Lynx discussion
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 19:33:58 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 25 Apr 1999, Philip Webb wrote:
>curiouser'n'curiouser!  on this IRIX 5.3 using csh
>i have a subdirectory  arms , containing lurid files re weaponry Worldwide
>(up here, we see arms as something governments should severely restrict):
>if i enter  arm  then Tab, it completes to  arms/ ;
>if i enter  e arms  in an attempt to create a file  arms ,
>the editor (a nifty subset of Emacs) starts with the listing of  arms/ .
>it seems this flavor of UNIX doesn't expect  arms  &  arms/  to differ.

Actually, I suspect that the program is just trying to be helpful.  I
notice that both vi and vim tell me that the file is a directory if I try
to view it.  I think your program is realizing it's a directory, and presuming
you want to open a file within the directory.

(I think far too few UNIX programs are "helpful".  I'm all for power, but
having to give -f to tar every single damn time I use it is ridiculous!
Sure, it started out as a "Tape ARchiver", but jeez!   And some way to have rm
automagically deal with directories, without giving the -r option, would
be nice.  It seems obvious to me that if I give a directory to 'rm', I mean
that I want to delete the directory and its contents.  Since any sane person
has -i on by default, it won't lead to accidents either.)