lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev dev.24 Archive link runaround

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev dev.24 Archive link runaround
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 06:50:16 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 25 Apr 1999, Philip Webb wrote:
> Flora has demonstrated only that it wants to waste clients' time:

Applause to them for making people aware that one URL is the right
one (the one people probably want to visit) while the other isn't.
If it helps prevent unnecessary redirections for everybody accessing
the lynx-dev archives through the Lynx Help Page, it has served its
purpose.

>   Could not find: /lynx-dev
>   I could not find the file you were looking for.
>   Did you by chance mean: [1]/lynx-dev/
>   I brought you to the home page as a good place to start looking.

And what's the URL of the page you are quoting here?

> since it can't find  /lynx-dev , that URL doesn't even exist,
> so it can't have different content (it doesn't have content period).

It is content, no matter whether you regard it as meaningful or not.

> please show me a case of  2  URLs which differ only in a final  /
> & which have different meaningful content, anywhere on the WWW ...

Please show me that you are attempting to understand, instead of just
being stubborn.  You did nothing to address the statement "They are
different URLs".

You have changed the question: instead of 'content', you now talk
about '[different] meaningful content'.  How's a program to tell the
difference?

And if a program tries to be clever in guessing what's meaningful, you
get things like <http://www.apacheweek.com/issues/99-04-09#msie> -
apparently some webmasters are not happy with that kind of 'friendly',
or it wouldn't be listed under "Problems with MSIE 5".

(Besides, I assume that every content transmitted is deemed meaningful
to someone, otherwise it wouldn't be transmitted.)

   Klaus