lynx-dev

lynx-dev default STARTFILE (was: lynx2.8.2dev.23)

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: lynx-dev default STARTFILE (was: lynx2.8.2dev.23)
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 06:49:59 -0400

On Tue, Apr 27, 1999 at 05:25:47PM +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:
> > i checked the Archive & did not find evidence
> > that anyone wanted l.b.o. as default, let alone a "consensus";
>
> I did not perceive a consensus either.  However, I did express the
> opinion that l.b.o. should remain the default.  Unfortunately I cannot
> seem to connect to flora to give you a URL, but I do have the post
> archived here as:
> Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 14:36:09 +0900 (JST)
> From: Henry Nelson <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: STARTFILE patch
>
> > & responds to  2  earlier objections made via lynx-dev by KW & HN.
>
> At least as concerns HN, my reservations (don't know that I would go
> so far as objections) were NOT answered, neither by you nor Larry.  Our
> opinions quite obviously are at odds with each other.  I understand and
> respect your point of view, but I do not agree with it.
>
> > subject to further discussion via lynx-dev,
>
> The final decision is not mine to make, so other than correcting your
> statements about my expressed opinions, I tend to feel the discussion
> is over for me.

There was a consensus when lynx.browser.org was created that that URL
would be the default home for Lynx users. It is trivial to change the
STARTFILE in the cfg file or the command line. Assuming that because a
few users think Lynx is broken on the rare times that browser.org is
unreachable does not imply that "users will become confused and think
that they cannot run Lynx."

I think users will be more confused to find a directory listing, than
to find a helpful Lynx starting page on the web. Leave the distribution
STARTFILE as lynx.browser.org.

Marvin the Paranoid Android.