lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev changing the installed lynx's directory layout

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev changing the installed lynx's directory layout
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 09:33:38 +0500 (SAMST)

On Wed, 5 May 1999, Henry Nelson wrote:

> > >   When piping will be implemented, I will write at least 1 script.
>
> What is needed for "piping"?
>
> An awful lot can already be done with proxies, and Lynx's PRINTER,
> DOWNLOADER and EXTERNAL, e.g.,
>
> PRINTER:Pipe file to a command:echo; echo -n "Enter command\: ";read cmnd;
> eval "$cmnd" < %s:FALSE
>
> __Henry

 I call 'piping' the (not yet implemented) ability of lynx to pipe the html
file it gets from net (or file) to stdin to some program, expecting html at
stdout of this program. PRINTER, EXTERNAL, etc can't provide this
functionality in a clean way (yes, we can bind scripts to http via EXTERNAL or
to PRINTER,
so that script will download html file from that url, run translation script,
gather its output to tmp file, and invoke new copy of lynx to view this file,
but this is ugly IMO).
 IMO table rendering is the most useful application of piping. There are
several scripts (I didn't test them) accessible via
'http://www.crl.com/%7Esubir/lynx/patches.html' for this.

 Best regards,
  -Vlad