lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Table support?

From: Chuck Martin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Table support?
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 10:57:54 -0400

On Wed, May 05, 1999 at 06:50:22AM -0400, Larry W. Virden wrote:

> I hope that as people dream up ways for lynx to do tables better
> they keep in mind speech synthesisers and do not build a table display
> that makes it more difficult for software to read the table..

I'm curious.  Could a speech synthesizer make sense out of a table
that was created with <PRE> instead of <TABLE> and it's associated
elements?  In other words, could a blind person figure out what row
and column a particular cell was in and what that position meant?  I
think the methods discussed recently would probably be more understood
by a blind reader than a strict row and column format, especially if
the labels A1, B1, etc., were used, as some of us have discussed, although
the row and column format would probably appeal more to the sighted.

Chuck