lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2dev.25d-cpp.patch.gz

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2dev.25d-cpp.patch.gz
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 00:34:07 +0500 (SAMST)

On Wed, 12 May 1999, Henry Nelson wrote:

> > > This could be done better by simply rewriting lynx.cfg in its
> [...]
> > How will you do categorization with editor? As for me, I start studing
>
> Perhaps I don't understand what you mean by "categorization." What I'm
> saying is, the most economical way I can think of to logically organize
> configuration parameters is to _edit_ (rewrite) the configuration file
> itself. You can find an example of what I'm referring to at:
>      http://163.51.110.11/lynxdev/hacks/USERDEFS.gz
>
> > information duplication in distribution. OK, after both of them are
> > generated they will contain nearly the same information, but in
> > different formats. If
>
> This is duplication of content. I see no reason for it. The
> re-formatting is of no value to me.

 What do you think about apporach of gnu tools, that provide 'mans', 'texinfo'
files, and have special makefile targets that generate .dvi files (ie
duplication of information is very big according to your meassures).

> > user has desire to print it, *.html files will be much more useful for
>
> On my system, it is MUCH easier to print a plain text file. To print an
> html file, I first have to run it through Lynx to format it in text.

 Probably it's only on YOUR system. If you had a wide printer, you would be
able to reformat *.html to any width with lynx and print in any width, while
current text-only file has fixed width. If you had a special software for
converting html->txt, that will emit printer control codes that change font,
etc (such control codes are supported even by matruix printers) you'l get a
much nicer documentation.
 For sighted users, *.html also may be preferable (tho' I'm not shure).

 I repeat that this functionality can be made switchable (on|off) by switches
to 'configure' (C code is ready, we have to hack 'makefile.in' to not to
copy those files).
 In this case adding this patch costs only 270 kb of distribution size.

> __Henry

 Best regards,
  -Vlad