lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: table formatting (possible) solution

From: Rob Partington
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: table formatting (possible) solution
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 21:54:09 +0100

In message <address@hidden>,
           Louis-David Mitterrand writes:

> This text-mode browser is indeed a serious competitor for lynx! It lacks

Yeah, but.  Try looking at www.slashdot.org, for example.  On my terminal,
100x37 linux console, that's utterly unusable.  Stepping down the links
on the left alternates me between that list and random places further
down the page.

The colour support is, well, worse than mine.  They've assumed you've
got a white background, I think, which breaks horribly when you run it
on the linux console.  Monochrome mode just isn't useful to me.

> the "niceties" and external (non-rendering related) features that lynx
> has accumulated but it beats lynx hands-down for sheer elegance and
> correctness in displaying HTML. Every lynx developer should take a look

Woah!  Testing it with the test directory that comes with each and every
honest-to-goodness Lynx browser throws up some interesting problems.

TestComment.html     fails on tests 5, 8, 12 and 13 (Lynx fails on test
                                     5 unless you turn valid comment parsing on)
tabtest.html         doesn't understand tabs at all

It has trouble with the entities in most of the other files too.  Minor
quibbles, but it definitely falls down in correctness.

(And yes, I'm being harsh)

> at that project. Too bad the documentation is only in Japanese, but this
> shouldn't prevent anyone from running "configure && make" on this very
> Zen package. Congratulations to the w3m team.

This is one of the problems with rendering tables.  *I* don't want tables
that have been used for formatting rendering because, as w3m shows, it can
make perfectly reasonable pages unreadable due to the confines of a text
terminal.  ObjTreeLynx will -not- render tables by default, but will have
a toggle button next to the start of each table[1] if you want to render
that particular table.

[1] And possibly some logic along the lines of "Does it have <th>'s, does
it use cell sizes, etc.?"
--
rob partington / address@hidden