lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Eudora with Lynx ???

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Eudora with Lynx ???
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 08:34:53 +0100 (BST)

> They use Eudora as a mail program and I'd like Eudora to be used by Lynx
> when they click on a "mailto:"; link. I tried to put Eudora as file editor
> in the .lynxrc file but it dosen't work.

Lynx is basically a Unix program and interfaces with the mail transport
layer in Unix (very roughly MAPI in Microsoft architectures).  When it
runs an editor for mail, that is only for the body of the mail.  If you
have software that implements an MTA type interface, you can probably
get it to do the actual delivery, but rather more extensive work would
be needed to make it pass just the address and subject to a third party
user agent.

This has been asked for several times in a Unix environment, but no one
has found the time and inclination to actually implement it.

Note that, under MS operating systems, Lynx uses a small program that
emulates the Unix sendmail program; this is the only thing that is
easy to substitute.

I assume that Eudora supports command line specification of email
addresses, or whatever interface is used to support the default
mailer function; I'd wonder whether these were only in the paid for
version.

> On the other way, I'd like Lynx instead of Internet Explorer to be called
> by Eudora when they click on an URL in a message in Eudora. That means I
> have to change the default browser in the Registry Base, but I can't find
> which key it is.

Very few people need to know this information, so you are probably
going to have to spend many days searching MSDN and the registry to
work it out.  It might be worth fetching the sources of Mozilla, as
presumably they implement this, but otherwise, only the authors of
Netscape, IE and the bit or Windows that dispatches URLs need to know
this sort of information.

One trick might be to export the registry as text, make the other big
2 browser the default, re-export and compare.