lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Lynx bug : automatic following of links?

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx bug : automatic following of links?
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 12:09:53 +0500 (SAMST)

On Wed, 30 Jun 1999, Hans Ecke wrote:

> ...I send this message to lynx-dev 4-5 days ago. It seems it was lost or
> something because i could not find it in the html-archives. So here the
> second try:
>

> Hi!
>
> I'd like to report what I _think_ is a bug in lynx. I'm not really
> familiar with the inner workings of either lynx or http so I just describe
> what I see.
>
> First some environment :
> Lynx 2.8rel2 on AIX 4.3. The machine in question is a computer center
> unix-server, i.e. multiuser mail/shell/... server.
>
> Now the test html-file. I can reproduce the bug with it 100%
> <HTML> <BODY>
> yahoo
> </a>
> evangelion
> </a>
> </HTML> </BODY>
>
> What I encounter with the html-file above :
> 1.) I see what I'm supposed to see : an empty page except for two links in
> the top line : yahoo and evangelion. the cursor is on the first link.
> 2.) I press "cursor-down". For what I know lynx is supposed to just move
> the cursor to the second link, however what happens is
> 3.) at least 3 different pages at www.webring.org show up without me doing
> anything, especially not pressing any key like "enter" or "cursor-right".
> I land at last at some kind of feedback-page. Sometimes the bottomline
> asks me if I "want to send an comment [n]". If I try to go back to the
> original page via "cursor-left" it is of course impossible because I come
> back with the cursor on the offending link and (3) happens all over again.
>
> Okay, that was all. I tried to be as clear as possible. Please write me
> back if I did not succeed. My apologies if this bug is a "feature" or
> supposed behaviour or an already known bug. In this case a pointer to some
> documentation would be great to get to know how to deal with it. I don't
> know if the receiver of this message is a list or a person. If it's a list
> than I'm not a member of it, so please CC: to me.
>
> If you can't reproduce it and need a trace from my machine, please mail
> me.
>
> Thank you very much for your work on lynx, it is an unreplacable tool for
> me.

 Have you used lynx on other pages on that machine? Have you used cursor-down
key on that machine in lynx? One of the possible reasons is that cursor-down
key sends funny escape sequence consisting of characters that lynx interprets as
commands (one by one) (may be you simply logged into other machine and set
TERM variable incorrectly).

> Hans

 Best regards,
  -Vlad