lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Transport links between bookmark files... Here's the code

From: Larry W. Virden
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Transport links between bookmark files... Here's the code
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 07:01:42 -0400 (EDT)

From: Kim DeVaughn <address@hidden>

> Without commenting on the merits of your patch, when posting patches,
> please use "unified" (or at least "context") diffs.  And let diff do
> the work of matching original and updated files.

If someone is maintaining a FAQ for lynx-dev, this email would be a good
beginning for an entry!

> Make all your changes within the *.work dir, and when you're satisfied
> with the changes, do a "make distclean" in *.work, and check for any
> extraneous files that that "make" might have missed cleaning up, such as
> backup files from editing, etc.

Actually, be sure that a make distclean is done in both the orig and work
directories.  Also make certain that you have deleted any extraneous files
that you yourself might have generated - saving the output of debugs, etc.

> and check that no extraneous files have been picked up in the process
> with something like:
>
> grep +++ patch
>
>which should give you a list of the changed/added files that you expect.

If you haven't gotten all the cleanup done you will find the files appear here.

> Then post that file, with any explanation about it.  Do NOT "cleanup"
> the patch file to remove blank lines, trailing spaces/tabs, etc.

Warn also that some editors and mailing programs are rude , encoding files,
dropping trailing blanks, etc.  Also, if the patch is too large (hundreds
of thousands of lines) then a pointer to a URL of the patch might be better.
--
Larry W. Virden                 <URL: mailto:address@hidden>
-><-