lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev screen/window

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: Re: lynx-dev screen/window
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 04:29:05 -0600

On Mon, Jul 12, 1999, T.E.Dickey (address@hidden) said:

| There's also 'splitvt' (but my recollection of both agrees - they're not
| very transparent).

Hmmm ... I've not run into "splitvt" before.  I'll keep an eye out for
it when ftp'ing about, though if it's also not very transparent, as you
say, it'll probably end up in /dev/null ... :-) ...

| 'screen' is pretty transparent (as long as I can avoid
| hitting a ^A, which is a pain since both minicom and vile would like to use
| that as well).

Heh.  I couldn't live without ^A either (for cmd line editing, emacs,
lynx, etc).

I rebind screen's default escape of ^A, to ^] at on my primary UNIX
ISP system (best), and to ^\ at others (sometimes having to turn ^\
off via stty ... seems I never need the "quit" key, as the good ol'
"intr" ^C key always works).

Right now, I'm dialed up to "wazoo.com", running screen there with
^\ as the escape, one screen of which is telnet'd thru to best.com,
which is also running screen, with ^] as the escape.  Everything works
just fine, and I can flip back-and-forth between apps on either ISP ..
.. I also stuff the appropriate escape char into my prompt, to help
keep things straight ...

Rebinding the escape for screen is easy in your .screenrc file.  Eg:

 >startup_message off
 >
 >crlf            off
 >escape          ^]]

/kim