lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.8.3.dev4+Slang 1.3.8: arrow keys not working?

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.8.3.dev4+Slang 1.3.8: arrow keys not working?
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 06:16:05 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 17 Jul 1999, Kim DeVaughn wrote:

> What really annoys me, is that the dev.4 change seems to me to be totally
> gratuitous.  I don't recall anyone complaining that they were having
> problems with arrow keys in recent lynx-dev messages (though I could
> have missed something).  Also, I didn't see anything specifically about
> the change in CHANGES (unless the reference to someones broken F1 key
> was the precipitating problem).

The problem triggering it was "escape sequence for F1 is not picked up
from terminfo".  The "solution" went beyond solving that particular
problem, but the CHANGES entry doesn't reflect this.

So far I'd call it an accident, so relax a bit :).  (I think that's what
you're doing already, considering the mention of three-fingers of Chivas
:)).  I remember seeing the patch from John Davis fly by, thinking "oh
that's how you do it", not thinking of consequences this might have for
breaking "working" arrow keys.  I imagine Tom may have thought similarly.
Only if Tom decides that this is the way things should stay does it become
more than an accident-that-can-happen-with-dev-code, and I trust Tom is
more reasonable than that. :)

IMO, arrow keys are much more essential than other 'function' keys.  Be
strict with those other nice-to-have, but not essential, keys if you must;
but at least don't add requirements for making arrow keys work.

   Klaus