lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev tempfile gripes (was REUSE_TEMPFILES)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev tempfile gripes (was REUSE_TEMPFILES)
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 10:29:21 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 17 Jul 1999, Henry Nelson wrote:

> It's not that it's obscure; it's my aversion to turning a 'user-
> interface page' into 'just another local .html file'.  I go to the
> Options page (to me it's the Options _Menu_) to change options,
> not to do browsing.  I don't expect the page to actually go into
> the history stack.  Yes, being able to flip back and forth between
> Help/Docs and the menu you're working on is a fine concept.  It's
> not the way my mind is set is all.  It's more "natural" for me to
> hit 'o' again than 'u'.  (I never change a bunch of options at once,
> so losing all my selections doesn't effect me.  If I did make a lot
> of changes, I'd save them before proceeding.)
>
> [...].  The result I see on my disk area
> and what I see Lynx doing (erasing a file just before it creates the
> exact same one again) are the same.  Of course, this is because I'm
> not using, thinking about?, the Option _Page_ in the "right" way.  I
> don't want to go around erasing all my local .html files just because
> I viewed them once, that's for sure!  Sorry.  It's just hard for me
> understand why these internally created (hardcoded, gettexted and all)
> pages have to be treated strictly like other local .html files.

Well, it's not the only possible model, and maybe not the best.
But one thing it does is avoid more special-case coding for all
the different UIPs.  IIRC, re-using generic code was seen as one
of the advantages of the "Forms" vs. "Old" Options Page/Menu.

In comparison with the much higher tmp space requirements for
'd'ownloaded and/or compressed files, the space requirements for
the "UIP tmp files" should not play much of a role.

   Klaus