lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev on unix all environment (was solaris via proxy)

From: Heather Stern
Subject: Re: lynx-dev on unix all environment (was solaris via proxy)
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 15:53:58 -0700 (PDT)

Steven V Hodorov >> Another (minor) issue: on unix all environment variables
                 >> are defined UPPERCASE (by convention) lynx expects lower
                 >> case only env vars.
gil > (also by convention) proxy name environment variables have been
    > lower case since the earliest days of Mosaic.  Lynx is simply
    > adhering to well-established usage.

In my experience this UPPERCASE convention is variables that belong to the
shells, and other such system automata -- in its normal case sensitive nature,
it has completely no care about them really, and the convention leaves easier
to type lowercase free for human use.

It'd be nice if we honored it in all caps or lower, but then we have to wonder
what to use if the two don't match...

Anyways I don't know about you, but I set my proxy variables myself, so they'd
probably stay lowercase around here.

* Heather