lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Alert!: Unable to access document

From: Heather
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Alert!: Unable to access document
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 16:33:29 -0700 (PDT)

> > Ahhhh.  So my last question, regarding the proxy, was the right path.
> > I don't use wwwoffle, but I do use squid.  In order for me to use my squid
> > proxy here, I need to set an environment variable:
> >       http_proxy=http://betelgeuse.starshine.org:3182/
>
> I tried this way, but don't seems to have the desired effect;
> I'll see again later.
>
> > The slash on the end is important.  The fact that the environment variable
> > name is in lowercase is important too.  Your port number may be different.
> > > I forgot to say that I'm running also wwwoffle
> > > proxy (with both ftp and http server)
>
> I used 'no_proxy: localhost' and 'no_proxy: *'
> in ~/lynx.cfg and browsed htt://localhost/
> with no prolems,

That's good, you have proved that lynx is not damaged, but...

> but are always problems with remote hosts!

...with them, you are saying to NOT proxy, even if one is present.  If your
system's IP address starts 192.168, 172.(16-31). or 10. then this will
guarantee you should NEVER see things outside your domain.  (Those are non
internet addresses.)

You should also check that the server carrying wwwoffle for you is able to
see the outside world on its own.  If not, neither will hosts using it as
proxy, even if doing it correctly!  (This would be routing, not a lynx
problem nor even necessarily software.  Your netadmin would have to fix
that before you'd continue with us.)

> > If something akin to this works for you, then you will also want to set
> > ftp_proxy and possibly gopher_proxy as well.

Somewhere there must be docs for wwwoffle that say what port it proxies via.
If you can find out what you'd have to put in a netscape client, we can
translate that for you into what you have to tell lynx instead.

> Mny thanks
> Leonardo

Hope it's making sense so far

* Heather