lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev stopping when viewing a site

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev stopping when viewing a site
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 04:55:14 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Henry Nelson wrote:

> > > When I visit http://www.educities.edu.tw/ (please ignore the Chinese...)
> > > It just stopped whatever I answered to the cookie question.
> > [...]
> > > Is this a bug?
> >
> > Yes.  Has nothing to do with cookies, and is apparent only when using
> > one of the CJK display character sets.  Working on a fix.
>
> Actually two bugs, depending on your point of view.  The appended patch
> clears up a long-standing problem for CJK users.  Of course, it masks
> the other problem, which I suppose is potentially more serious.
>
> __Henry
>
> * Let CJK charsets default to 7 Bit Approximations.  Needed to display
>   entities in the decimal 160-255 range.  (Restore behavior before the
>   changes made to declarations of charsets on 1999-03-04.)

Could you please summarize the two problems you are talking about?
Or give some links to previous discussion?  For the benefit of readers
(like me) who didn't keep track of the impact of the 1999-03-04 change.

I tried to find out what happens to 'entities in the decimal 160-255 range'
by setting display character set to a CJK one (I picked Korean, also
tried EUC-JP), then
I got a lynx hanging(!) (looping?) in LYUCFullyTranslateString_1.
I didn't have it compiled with full debugging info, so didn't trace it
in more detail for now, and this is not the most recent source.  Is this
one of the problems you are talking about?

   Klaus