lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev User Agent

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: Re: lynx-dev User Agent
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 01:45:48 -0600

On Tue, Aug 24, 1999, Klaus Weide (address@hidden) said:

| Having said all that, one place that would seem logical to hook this kind
| of protocol-level stuff (URL-specific headers) into is the cernrules
| mechanism, if you want to do it.  That already provides a framework for
| doing things based on (limited) URL matching, you wouldn't have to
| reinvent so much (keeping lists of URLs, option syntax and parsing etc.)

Hmmm.  I can certainly see some (quite a bit, actually) value in a general
mechanism to associate specified url's/domains with some prefered settings
used to view them in the "nicest" form of rendering.

Example ... to view my stock quotes page (from yahoo), I want/need to use
TagSoup rendering, but for most other sites that I regularly visit, I want
SortaSGML.  It'd be very nice if that exception could be taken care of
automagically.

And with one (or more ?) forms of enhanced table handling just around the
corner, it would very handy to be able to associate a particular handling
format, on a site/url/domain/etc basis.  (I am really hoping that I'll be
able to find *some* site where all the scores/etc for football can be
rendered in an intelligible manner this year!)

UserAgent is just another (possible) form of association that it would be
nice to be able automate, as are some of the other settings, I suppose.

/kim