lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev chartrans to CJK-like display (was: stopping when viewing a

From: Heather
Subject: Re: lynx-dev chartrans to CJK-like display (was: stopping when viewing a site)
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 20:04:55 -0700 (PDT)

Interestingly enough metamail didn't make it easy for me to quote you :)
> [Charset unknown-8bit unsupported, skipping...]

Anyways

> So, again by example, what I mean by having a table for CJK, is to map
> an entity like ¢ to a multibyte cent symbol defined in Japanese,
> " ¡ñ ", or £ to a multibyte pound symbol " ¡ò ".  (What these look
> like to you, I have no idea.  To me, the first is like a "|" imposed on
> a "c", and the second is a "-" on an "L".)

On my screen (PC w/Linux SuSE 6.0, elm as MUA, no special effort to change
an american character set) I see "(upside down bang used by spanish people
for front half of exclamations)(n with tilde over it - known as enye)" for
the first, and "(upside down bang)(o with accent from top left down to
middle - I think that's called grave)" for the second.  I do not see them
superimposed, as I'm sure you guessed.  Um, actually they have a couple of
spaces around them too.

> Many of the entities do not
> have multibyte representations in Japanese, so the 7 bit approximations
> are the best that can be done.  This mess happened before unicode was in
> existence, and then perpetrated by commercial enterprises.
>
> Hope I haven't totally confused you.  As simply as I can put it:
>        allow table translation for (all)* single-byte characters (16x16)
>        send all multibyte characters to be handled by CJK routines
>
>        *(all that can be easily determined or reasonably assumed to be)

Any chance we can let the usual CJK take the job first, and only leave us
some clue what it hasn't translated already?  If this could work it would
save the trouble of trying to hotwire lynx to make the determination either.

* Heather