lynx-dev

lynx-dev Re: bug #25947, $http_proxy + /etc/lynx.cfg http_proxy

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: lynx-dev Re: bug #25947, $http_proxy + /etc/lynx.cfg http_proxy
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 07:57:27 -0500 (CDT)

(lynx-dev: see <http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/25/25947.html>)

> However, something slightly different is happening than what the original
> bug report describes: the hostname of the target host is prepended, not
> the cache name. So, if the request should have been
> http://www.debian.org/index.html, it actually becomes
> http://www.debian.org/www.debian.org/index.html.
>
> This is quite annoying bug, as some programs only support $http_proxy.

I have never seen something like this, certainly not if the *_proxy
variables/options are syntactically correct.  Note that the trailing '/'
is required.

Howwever, I don't really understand the description.  What is a "cache
name"?  At what stage does http://www.debian.org/index.html "become"
http://www.debian.org/www.debian.org/index.html, what makes you think it
has become that?  How was the URL entered in the first place?  (For
example, did you use full URLs including the "http://";?)

Please give a full example with all relevant inputs (lynx.cfg settings,
env variables, URL) and the resulting output.  If you can, show us the
URL as the proxy sees it (from squid log files).

You may also try lynx -trace, then look at ~/Lynx.trace to see what happens.
Note some concatenation (proxy+URL) is generated internally and will
appear in the trace, but should never be visible to the outside world (i.e.
it is not sent to the proxy).  You should see the full request in the trace
file (look for "GET ").

   Klaus