lynx-dev

lynx-dev LYNX: so eg mutt can run it as "server"?

From: David Combs
Subject: lynx-dev LYNX: so eg mutt can run it as "server"?
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 09:16:00 -0700 (PDT)

Emacs has this neat facility by which it can be set up
as a "server", such that with the proper string in "EDITOR"
env-variable, when some process wants to run the $EDITOR,
you end up inside the "already been running" emacs.

QUESTION: what about such a feature for LYNX (or is there ALREADY
one?)?

More and more, you get this html junk in emails; right now,
I have to save the .html-part to a file, then
(in my already running lynx that I now "fg" back into),
I must PREFIX the filename with "file://localhost/u/u5/dkcombs/",
not something you want to type in by hand.

---

Well, I was going to suggest that lynx add something to the
"g" command for local files, thus avoiding the long prefix,
-- well, I still am suggesting that, because my ingenious
(sadSmiley) solution of symbolic link won't handle those
chars of double slash and the file:.

So, how about inventing a new url-item, "myfile://<filename>",
which lynx expands into the localhost/u/u5/dkcombs stuff
above?

Not a bad idea!

PLEASE, those who think either or both of these two ideas
(1: server-like lynx, and 2: the myfile:// url), SAY SO.

Thanks

David