lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev something wrong with LYNXKEYMAP

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev something wrong with LYNXKEYMAP
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 19:39:59 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 24 Oct 1999, Henry Nelson wrote:

> > Maybe now you also find the LYNXKEYMAP: page less useless than before?
>
> I didn't mean the page was useless.  I meant the code needed to generate
> it is unnecessary, and the middle column which gives the name of the
> action used in the code, e.g., ELGOTO, is meaningless (for most people).

Not for anyone who has made a KEYMAP change in lynx.cfg and wants to
check whether the change "has taken", for example.  The action names
are the same in both places.

> Being able to go directly to a concise list of key commands (one-stroke
> 'K') is very convenient compared to having to go through what has become
> a couple of layers of html pages of the help files.  The latter is the
> only reason I find the page not to be useless.
>
> Actually, I still am of the opinion that LYNXKEYMAP is a potential source
> of confusion for the unwary.  From looking at the advice given from people
> on this list to users asking for help, many (most?) users think the 'K'eymap
> page and "lynx_help/keystrokes/" files such as "scrolling_help.html" offer
> the same information; they don't.  When they differ, a person may be confused.

Well, things could be improved.

I am not planning such an effort now, but there is one point that can be
changed easily:   The 'K'eymap page has a link at the top which promises
to provide "help on [1]Current Key Map".  But if you follow that link,
it does nothing of that sort.  It doesn't explain the Current Key Map,
it just gives a different (and static, i.e. not the "Current") listing.
The only thing about it that's more helpful is that it has links to
more detailed descriptions (but those don't describe the concept of
"Current Key Map" either).

Either that "help on [1]Current Key Map" should be retargeted, if there
is an adequate location somewhere (is there?), or it should be omitted.

   Klaus