lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Which key for textarea external editor? (was: textarea no w

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Which key for textarea external editor? (was: textarea no wrap ...)
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 13:30:28 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Kim DeVaughn wrote:

> Ideally, the user should be able to specify what key they want to use as
> the TEXT/TEXTAREA escape key.  Since there are problems when using the
> ESC-key, I like the suggestion of using ^X as the default.
  ^^^^^^^
[ snip ]

> ^X is a good 2nd-best choice for an escape key, IMHO.  1st choice would be
> the ESC-key itself, but due to timing problems, etc, probably isn't a good
      ^^^^^^^
> default choice.

And the nice thing: the ESC key already works, too.
(With basically the same effect as the ^X in Bash-like Bindings).

It just can't be the standard way since it won't work everywhere.  So
it can't be heavily advertised.  It does not work with (Unix) slang,
unless you use .lynx-keymaps and tweak things there.  But it does work
nicely for me with ncurses.

If you want to get it to work with (Unix) slang, and don't care about
fiddling with .lynx-keymaps: Modify source so that USE_KEYMAPS doesn't
get defined (you'll lose .lynx-keymaps), and it should work too.

For me, Alt+f = FORWW, Alt+b = BACKW, Alt+d = DELNW, Alt+Backspace =
DELPW, etc., just as expected, since the keyboard (driver) sends
Alt+key as 'ESC key'.  And, of course, Alt+e invokes external textarea
editing.  And it isn't limited to "Bash-like line edit style" even
now.

Try it.  See bashlike_edit_help.html.

   Klaus