lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev LYNX: "php3" faq says it runs under lynx too.

From: mattack
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: "php3" faq says it runs under lynx too.
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1999 16:45:39 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 3 Dec 1999, David Combs wrote:
>I have no idea what this php is -- some kind of scripting lang
>that's getting popular.

It looks to me like it's the holy grail I've been looking for (or at least
close to it) -- a scripting language with the POWER of Perl, but largely the
syntax of C.  I really think one of the major reasons I haven't done this
web page idea I've had for several years (people keep coming closer to
implementing it, but nobody's gotten all the way there) is because I just
can't get "into" Perl.  I now understand why some people just dislike the
look of C.  Perl seems to me that, an order of magnitude worse.  I love
the power, the lack of having to allocate memory, but there are just "weird
variables" and such that just get to me for some reason.

>In the process of printing some stuff about it, I looked at
>the faq, and saw something about it working fine for lynx.

I think I saw the same thing you did.  I didn't read the whole thing
in depth, but they were talking about the _output_ of a PHP script working
on IE and Lynx, but not on Netscape.  So it's a backend scripting engine
that people use to do the same kinds of things they do in Perl (and other
languages) -- massage data, effectively printf() dynamic pages to people, and
so on.