lynx-dev

lynx-dev 'links'

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: lynx-dev 'links'
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 05:26:17 -0600 (CST)

Welcome to the 'links' author himself.  Thank you for the program!

On Sun, 5 Dec 1999, Mikulas Patocka wrote:

> Links doesn't use threads. It's based completely on select(). It forks (on
> Unix) or spawns thread (on OS/2) only when it needs to do lookup (can be
> avoided with option -async-lookup 0) or when it spawned some user viewer
> and needs to wait() for it. fork/thread routines are very simple, they
> don't touch any global variables and thus the same routine can be run from
> a fork()ed child or a thread.

I found it confusing (in my limited playing-around with it) that several
things were going on at the same time.  Of course, that may just mean that
I am too much used to Lynx (where I feel I always know what it's "doing").

Somethink like Lynx's UP_LINK/DOWN_LINK/LEFT_LINK/RIGHT_LINK key
commands (the last 2 are bindable but not boud by default) would be
useful for navigation among anchors, I think.

Something like what lynx's mouse code does would also be useful: if you
click near (but no *on* a link), that link becomes selected but not activated.

At first I found it very surprising that the program didn't quit with 'q'.
Took me a while to discover the menus... (F9 / F10 / ESC).  Now I use
Alt-f e (Alt-f x would be a bit more unsurprising.)

Btw for other readers: there are some interesting comments on lynx, links,
and w3m at
   <http://www.freshmeat.net/appindex/1999/11/25/943536422.html>
and
   <http://freshmeat.net/appindex/1999/06/09/928951047.html>.