lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev i.e. nits

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev i.e. nits
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 19:41:33 -0500 (EST)

> but i.e. means 'that is'.

I know that.  otoh, perhaps my memory is incorrect.  I don't have the
original reference any more (too many books).  But Fowler's got only
an example w/o the comma (though Fowler's British, which is a different
bias than mine).  I'll probably take the commas off, now that I've had
to consider it...

> I have a green car, i.e. an Emerald Mica Miata.
>
> Is it really proper to say:
>
> I have a green car, that is, an Emerald Mica Miata.
> ???
>
> Sure seems like a comma is misplaced there.  If this really is the proper
> way, it sounds like one of the few rules I will purposefully break.  The most
> obvious one I don't follow is putting punctuation within quotes.  Obviously
> I'm
> thinking like a programmer and don't want the damn punctuation in the quotes.

depends on what the punctuation is (I also prefer most of it outside, where
it can be parsed properly ;-)

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden