lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev COOKIE_SAVE_FILE wrong

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev COOKIE_SAVE_FILE wrong
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 11:47:39 +0900 (JST)

> They all have 'a shell account' as they all have either Unix workstations or

JFTR, I was talking about what is described in the second paragraph of
the _Lynx Users Guide_ as:

   Lynx can be used to            ...                       build
   information systems intended primarily for local access. For example,
   Lynx has been used to build several Campus Wide Information Systems
   (CWIS). In addition, Lynx can be used to build systems isolated within
   a single LAN.

As I understand, and as I have experienced one such system on a community
net in California about 4 years ago, Lynx becomes a "pseudo-shell," and is
essentially the only interface the user has to the system.  The system I
once used is still in existence, but to my knowledge not a single person
is utilizing it.  Why would anyone?  You can build your own computer from
junk parts that will run Windows95/98 (or, of course, Linux/xxxBSD) for
about 3-months' worth of ISP connection fees.

People stuck on these kinds of systems have no choice but to use what is
on the O)ption Page, and can only save their configuration preferences in
.lynxrc -- if they are lucky.  Is anyone *building* (entire) systems based
on Lynx in this day and age?  No.  Is anyone aggressively  maintaining and
updating such systems?  I seriously doubt it.  Would any *suggestions* I
might make concerning current development versions of Lynx affect such
people?  No.

__Henry