lynx-dev

lynx-dev Using Lynx to download binary files ?

From: JEAN-FRANCOIS PLAMONDON
Subject: lynx-dev Using Lynx to download binary files ?
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 09:56:50 -0500 (EST)

To Whom It May Concern:

The situation:

I could not figure out how to download a web browser like Netscape
Communicator 4.7 given my slow 486 computer and 14,4 US Robotics modem
given limited Internet access of 1 3/4 hrs. I attempted to download a
new version of Netscape using my old one (Netscape 2.01).

Given my limit/constraint of Internet access for 1 3/4 hr. , I just
could not download the Netscape file in it full entirety .  It was to
SLOW in the downloading process and I got cut off.

It dawn on me one day to try downloading Netscape using Lynx - which is
strictly a text-based browser and which is extremely fast ! What a gem
this little program can turn out to be !

But I am uncertain and unsure if it can download Netscape - which I gather
is a binary file. Can lynx download binary files fully intact ? ( ie. not
just the text portion).

I assumed that it can download only text files. Is this wrong ?

Can you please let me know the answer to the above ?

If Lynx can download binary files INTACT, then it is one GEM of a program
to facilitate fast download at super speed. Please let me know.

Thanks you

-Carl