lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Lynx Windows 4.0? when? - PS

From: Eduardo Chappa L.
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx Windows 4.0? when? - PS
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 22:26:37 -0800 (PST)

*** Doug Kaufman wrote in the Lynx list today:

[Doug Kaufman talking about external support of mail, newsreader, etc]

:)
:) Isn't this what the EXTERNAL setting in lynx.cfg does. You just have
:) to remember to hit "." (or whatever KEYMAP you have set) instead of
:) ENTER or RIGHT-ARROW when you want go to one of these URLs. I think

If you broad your mind just a little bit, couldn't you accept that opening
a picture pressing return should be the same as opening a mailto: address
pressing return. We have been discussing this for quite sometime, I don;t
think it is necessary to start the discussion again, but trust me, you
would have happy users if all the external functionality that lynx is not
supposed to do (image viewer, mail program, newsreader) were easily
plugged in to the program.

:) that Wayne Buttles put together some code that he called AUTOEXTERNAL,
:) that substituted these for the default action (used in the BOBCAT
:) source). I haven't looked at that code, but it sounds as if that may
:) be what you are requesting. Maybe we can get Wayne to try to apply
:) that to lynx. He may have already tried and found some difficulties.
:) I'll forward this to him, since I am not sure if he still follows
:) lynx-dev.

I'm looking forward to this enhancement in lynx.

--
Eduardo
http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/