lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Windows character translation favors German over French?

From: vtailor
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Windows character translation favors German over French?
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 12:05:12 -0600 (CST)

>On Thu, 24 Feb 2000 address@hidden wrote:
>
>> I've run some preliminary tests of lynx.exe with the IBM PC character
>> set option enabled, and the latest February version does indeed put
>> things like German umlauts where they belong, leaving accented French
>> characters translated as Greek letters.  Since the IBM PC character
>> set can at least do French, German, Spanish, Italian, etc., it appears
>> the translation algorithm could do with some more tweaking.
>
>If you tell us *exactly* what you did (which test files or pages you
>were looking at, and with which settings), someone can look into it.
>I am not familiar with any combination of settings that would have
>the effect you describe.

Define "exactly", Herr Klaus.

I used the LYNews.c news reader to read soc.culture.french and
soc.culture.german, and observed that I got nice German text with umlauts
and beta for 'ss', while soc.culture.french gave me garbage for accented
vowels.

Here is my lynx.exe "options" menu extract:

  Display character set            : [IBM PC US codepage (cp437)_____]

  Document Layout
  Assumed document character set(!): [iso-8859-1______]
  Raw 8-bit (!)                    : [OFF]
(