lynx-dev

lynx-dev non-Unix gettext (was: Re: release)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: lynx-dev non-Unix gettext (was: Re: release)
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 11:28:45 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 23 Apr 2000, Doug Kaufman wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Apr 100, T.E.Dickey wrote:
>
> > the gettext version for djgpp or win32.  (I'm certain that it's not
> > been built for VMS).
>
> All the DOS binaries that I have been distributing from my web site
> for at least the last year are built with "-lintl". The appropriate
> phrases are substituted when LANG is set in the environment. For this
> to work properly, however, the DOS machine would have to be set to
> ISO 8859-1 or ISO 8859-2. The codepages are available, but not widely
> used.

I have experimental code, that is basically running fine, that can
translate the strings returned by gettext on the fly to the display
character set.

At some point in the future, functionality like this might also be
part of new gettext versions.

Finally, one could always translate the catalog files themselves before
installing.

So there's 3 more ways in which message catalog files can be made to
work on e.g. DOS (and the last one should work now),

   Klaus