lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev non-Unix gettext (was: Re: release)

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev non-Unix gettext (was: Re: release)
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 18:15:26 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Klaus Weide wrote:

> Finally, one could always translate the catalog files themselves before
> installing.
>
> So there's 3 more ways in which message catalog files can be made to
> work on e.g. DOS (and the last one should work now),

There isn't a problem to set this up on your own machine. As I
mentioned in another post, it would be easy to run recode on the
.po file before creating the .mo or .gmo file. The question for a
distributable file would be which character set to use. In the US, DOS
generally comes configured for cp437, with cp850 as an alternative.
In other countries, cp850 may be the default. I frequently use cp819
(ISO 8859-1), but this is not widely installed. Up to now, I have
distributed the binary compiled with gettext support, but assumed that
anyone who needed it would prepare their own .mo files. It seems a bit
much to prepare .mo files for multiple character sets, especially if
we don't have an indication of much demand. If there are occasional
DOS users who need NLS for the DOS binary, we can point to the
precompiled binaries for gettext and recode that should give them the
tools that they need.
                        Doug
__
Doug Kaufman