lynx-dev

lynx-dev URL scheme question for VMS

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: lynx-dev URL scheme question for VMS
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 21:12:16 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 29 Apr 2000, Jerome LAURET wrote:

>       Now, I don't know why but the "Alert!: Unsupported URL scheme!" problem
> got back in the distribution whenever one tries to open a local file with a
> VMS path like Logical:file.html i.e. "$ lynx Logical:file.html" would fail
> with
> the above message. Is this going to be unsuported ? (understandable).

You say it "got back in" - did it ever disappear since your first report?
I don't thing there were code changes to make it go away.

I suspect the reason for this is a change I made a while ago, in
function LYCheckForProxyURL (LYUtils.c).  It now returns
UNKNOWN_URL_TYPE for something like "Logical:file.html".  In code
before that change, it would usually return 0 (aka. NOT_A_URL_TYPE)
in that case.  The changed behavior is closer to what the comment
before the function documents.  So I think the change is correct.

But the problem is in LYEnsureAbsoluteURL - it simply tests for
     (!is_url(*href))
i.e.
     (is_url(*href) == NOT_A_URL_TYPE)
(It was relying on the wrong behavior of LYCheckForProxyURL() [which
is called from is_url])

LYEnsureAbsoluteURL should be changed to
 - act as before for non-VMS
 - test for
    (is_url(*href) == NOT_A_URL_TYPE || is_url(*href) == UNKNOWN_URL_TYPE)
   for VMS.

I think LYCheckForProxyURL should _not_ be changed back to the
previous behavior.  For example if one mistypes a URL scheme (like
"htttp:somewhere"), it's better to have an "Unsupported URL scheme"
message than to have lynx looking for a file of that name on non VMS
systems.

   Klaus