lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Is Lynx still practical?

From: Donald Rober
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Is Lynx still practical?
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 10:44:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 25 May 2000, Michael Warner wrote:

> This must be highly user-dependent.  I can believe that half
> (or more) of the total pages on the web are unusable with lynx,
> due to javascript, strictly graphical content, etc.  But I have
> a success rate of >= 95%, just because of the kind of content
> I'm interested in/seek out.  Actually, PDF files are a bigger
> nuisance for me than javascripted pages.  I tried filtering them
> through ps2ascii (I think?) but the result was, um, aesthetically
> lacking.
>
> > I guarantee you I will not quiver over the incorporation of two
> > or three complete modules running over thousands of lines of
> > code if we can get Lynx to read between the <script></script>.
>
> I tend to agree that javascript support, at least for the
> form-submission sort of thing, would probably be the single
> greatest public service to the lynx-using mob.

The problem I see is that more and more pages are using java for non-java
reasons. The page designer just happened to use it because they didn't
think about what it meant.

Any support, even minimal utility, would greatly add to Lynx's utility to
me.

[As a side question, is there a public-domain pdf reader that would just
extract the text?]