lynx-dev

lynx-dev Re: lynx: that faq-o-matic thing: not so great for reading doc

From: David Combs
Subject: lynx-dev Re: lynx: that faq-o-matic thing: not so great for reading doc
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 10:31:07 -0700

On Sat, May 27, 2000 at 10:41:26AM -0400, Jon Howell wrote:
> On Sat, 27 May 2000, David Combs wrote:
> > Yes, you CAN get the whole thing in one piece, but man is it UGLY!
> > At every faq "item" there's about 2 or 3 lines of ugly link-stuff
> > , as you can see here, from the "manual":
>
> Try showing the entire thing "as text." You have to use the [appearance]
> page to turn that option on, but it should be a good measure less ugly
> than the link-heavy HTML.
>
> The "as text" feature may still have a few funny bugs and uglinesses; good
> thing FOM is GPL'd so that y'all can fix those. :v)
>
>       --Jon

Thanks for the reply, Jon!

You do understand that when I said "html", that was as INPUT to lynx,
which of course produced "text" (although probably different from
YOUR "text", likely generated straight from your perl programs --
although (who knows?) maybe YOU use LYNX to PRODUCE your "text"! :-).

Please do give some thought to those who want to take the doc
away from the computer and read it.  Us "old timers" (according to
the media) are the only ones, these days, who actually like
to READ things (like manuals).

David

PS: When I was there, it was Darthmouth COLLEGE.

Well, just as I was logging onto my shell acct to read mail,
etc, 5 minutes ago, I got THIS "fortune":

A university is what a college becomes when the faculty loses interest
in students.
                -- John Ciardi

Really, I've never seen this one before (and it's been lots of years
I've been getting these things), just as I'm emailing you!

David