lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev arguments from stdin

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev arguments from stdin
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 14:22:00 -0500 (CDT)

[ My comments are based on previous code up to 2.8.3rel - I haven't
tested the 2.8.4dev yet ]

On Fri, 2 Jun 2000, Thomas Dickey wrote:

> On Tue, May 23, 2000 at 02:08:44PM +0200, Gisle Vanem wrote:
> > A command line like "lynx - < file" where file contains an URL no
> > longer work in the DOS/djgpp of 2.8.4dev.2.
>
> I'm puzzled by this, because I don't see how it could have worked before
> either.

Why not?  '-' means that stdin is read and parsed for additional
arguments, which are treated as if on the command line.  There should
be no difference between options/flags and URLs.  Everything, with
exception of a few options that are handled immediately, gets stored
away in LYStdinArgs and handled later, after arguments that appeared
directly on the command line.

That's for reading and parsing the stuff from stdin.  There may (will?)
be a problem if lynx is used interactively AND the display library
uses stdin for reading keyboard input.  For UNIX(-like) systems that
means that the construct "lynx - < file"

  - works for non-interactive use, -dump, -source etc., either on the
    real command line or withing the file),
  - works with slang, since slang doesn't use stdin for its keyboard
    input if it is not a tty,
  - does not normally work with ncurses, since ncurses always uses stdin
    for its keyboard input: ncurses detects EOF and lynx exits
    immediately; except
  - it works with the -nozap=initially command line option, which is only
    available if MISC_EXP is defined during compilation, since that re-
    opens stdin to the tty on the first detected EOF.

   Klaus