lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev arguments from stdin

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev arguments from stdin
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 17:04:17 -0400

On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 03:18:50PM -0500, Klaus Weide wrote:
> (Glad to see your mails now have an attribution line :) )
>
> On Fri, 2 Jun 2000, Thomas E. Dickey wrote:
> > On Fri, 2 Jun 2000, Klaus Weide wrote:                <<<<<<
> > > Why not?  '-' means that stdin is read and parsed for additional
> >
> > why not?: because only certain options were allowed in stdin before, and
> > I don't see where my changes modified that list.
>
> All were allowed, only some were handled early.  Jast as with
> real "command line" options.

we seem to talking about two different things.

> > I checked that anyway by testing the 2.8.3 version, which did not
> > read the URL from stdin, on Linux anyway (I don't have a djgpp version
> > to experiment with).
>
> Sure does for me.  Are we talking about the same thing?

probably not

> Using binary from Debian packaged 2.8.3rel.1 to make sure it isn't
> anything I have changed, and using -dump to exclude problems from
> display library use of stdin, I get
>
>    $ echo "http://lynx.isc.org/"; > /tmp/foo
>    $ /usr/src/usr/bin/lynx -dump - < /tmp/foo
>    [ correct content is dumped ]

I get this (since I happen to be connected ;-)

                                    Lynx

   Lynx is a text browser for the World Wide Web.    [1] Lynx 2.8.3 runs
   on Un*x, VMS, Windows 95/98/NT but not 3.1 or 3.11, on DOS (386 or
   higher) and OS/2 EMX.  The [2] current developmental version is also
   available for testing.  Ports to Mac are in beta test.

     * How to get Lynx, and much more information, is available at
       [3] Lynx links.
     * Many user questions are answered in the [4] online help provided
       with Lynx. Press the '?' key to find this help.
     * If you are encountering difficulty with Lynx you may write to
       address@hidden  Be as detailed as you can about the URL where
       you were on the Web when you had trouble, what you did, what Lynx
       version you have (try '=' key), and what OS you have.  If you are
       using an older version, you may well need to upgrade.

   Maintained by [5] address@hidden