lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Superscripts

From: Sergei Pokrovsky
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Superscripts
Date: 06 Jun 2000 10:45:48 +0700

  Philip> assuming this is Esperanto, what is `Ekz-e'? shouldn't
  Philip> `lineara' be `linia'?  and `lingvoiteracion' be
  Philip> `lingvoripeto'?

Well, I'm afraid that is not an appropriate place to discuss Esperanto
issues.  Still, I would not be a long digression if I mention that
"ekz-e" is an abbreviation of "ekzemple" (= "for example").

  Philip> & what does `C raised to the power -1 times M times C' mean,
  Philip> if not `M' ?  if you want to be taken seriously, you have to
  Philip> offer real-life examples (gentle frown).

It *is* a real-life example: it happens that M and C are matrices, so
C^{-1}MC generally is not equal to M (though it is specifies the same
transform).

  Philip> using 2-8-3dev.14 with tagsoup, i get a slightly better:

  Philip> with `Kleene plus' & `C^-1MC' underlined & \nnn appearing as
  Philip> characters.

I have no problem with the wide characters anyway (except for copying
them via clipboard, as it happened in this case).  My question is
about superscripts.  The color is nice if you just browse the text;
but I am interested in producing a flat file.

  >> "blah blah^{(TM)}." or similar instead of just "blah blah(TM).".
  >> The latter use for SUP seems much more widespread than its use
  >> for math, for which support in HTML (and in lynx) is quite poor
  >> anyway.

  Philip> belated thanx for this improvement.  i would prefer to see
  Philip> all <sup> ... </sup> 's treated the same, regardless whether
  Philip> the preceding character is a digit: ie 2<sup>n</sup> wb 2^n
  Philip> (or superscript-n if available) & 2<sup>-1</sup> 2^{-1} ,
  Philip> even if that does result in your trademark example above.  i
  Philip> come across these things in math documents; elsewhere, it
  Philip> seems best to reveal the mark-up in any case.  subject to
  Philip> others' comments, might you consider another tiny patch?

Quite my sentiment.

--
Sergei